I Will Not Pay Okoroji A Dime, Neither Will I Apologise- Onyeka

I Will Not Pay Okoroji A Dime, Neither Will I Apologise- Onyeka

Popular singer and immediate past Director General of the National Center for Women Development, Ms. Onyeka Onwenu, has reacted to the judgment delivered against her by a judge of the Ikeja High Court, Justice I. O. Akinkugbe, in a suit instituted against her by Chief Tony Okoroji for defamation of character asking her to pay the sum of N5m and tender an apology to Okoroji. According to Onyeka, she has done no wrong and won't be paying a dime or apologising to Okoroji. Here's what Onyeka said in a chat with Sunday Scoop.

"The judgment given by Justice Akinkugbe is most unfair and cannot stand. Throughout the trial, the plaintiff's lawyer kept referring to the fact that I was a member of the Peoples Democratic Party and my appointment to office as Director General of the PDP but that I was serving under an APC Government.

"My lawyer raised an objection as we did not think that my party affiliations had anything to do with the case at hand. But the judge to our consternation allowed that line of questioning. I am waiting to receive a copy of the judgment, at which point I will have more to say. For now, I am certain that this judgment cannot and will not hold based on the fact that we were able dismiss the allegations convincingly and unequivocally. We are appealing the judgement, of course."

Speaking further, Onyeka said she would not apologise as ordered by the court.

"I will not apologise and I will not pay any fine. I am guilty of nothing. We have a country where one is allowed to pursue justice and, by God's grace, justice will be served. If not by Justice Akinkugbe, then certainly by an Appeal Court or even the Supreme Court of Nigeria."

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...