Unveiling the Fela Lady's musical odyssey

Unveiling the Fela Lady's musical odyssey

Listen to her music, and you will be amazed at her enviable creativity and intellect. Even though she's not a household name in the Nigerian music industry, Falana definitely has what it takes to blow you away.

Having honed a sound that she calls "Soul Fusion", her very own blend of Jazz, Soul, Afrobeat, and RnB in far away Cuba, the rising singer is doing everything to launch herself into the mainstream popular music in the country. In doing so, she recently headlined her own concert series tagged "Uncover'd", a monthly musical concert which will run from June through September.

The concert held at Iamsigo Showroom, Victoria Island, Lagos, last week. The live show series, according to her, is tied around a pop-up concert series that invites audiences to explore the stories, style and sounds of Falana live in concert. A departure from what obtains in the nation's music scene, the singer, will be covering some classics with the added twist of her own unique touch. Every month, in different vibrant spaces across Lagos, Falana will take her audiences through her musical odyssey.

Speaking on the idea behind the concept, the Ogun State-born singer said, "I have an obsession with rearranging classic songs by my favourite artistes. It's like time travel, I love the nostalgia."

Falana also recently released her first official video off her Uncover'd series which is a cover to Fela Kuti's Lady. The Uncover'd live performance will see the singer cover three classics introducing new styles and set design that will show fans a different artistic side of her life. Born and raised in Brampton Canada, where she started singing at the age of four, Falana is breaking new grounds in her chosen career. She sings in Yoruba language and working frantically to earn her music a place in the highly competitive industry.

Apart from possessing a powerful voice and performing abilities that are beyond her years, Falana admits that she grew up with a passionate taste for music. She started singing in her church choir at the age of four and reflects upon those church days with a smile.
"People have different gifts. But singing came naturally to me. I started singing at the age of four,"she began to relay her story.
Nobody taught her how to sing, "As a child, I was singing in my church choir."

Her singing improved through her teens as she performed in her church and school. She credits her upbringing to her unique musical style. "Then my parents used to listen to musicians like King Sunny Ade, Chief Ebenezer Obey among others."

Falana, however, described her music as a blend of Jazz, Soul, Afrobeat, and RnB, adding that she finds it difficult to classify her style of music. "I find it difficult to classify my music. I don't have a particular kind of style. My music is a blend of all genres. I don't sing jazz, but I have jazz influences. I don't sing Afro soul music, yet I have the genre's influences. I love percussion because I used to play it in my church. I played percussion as a child. So, I like to put a lot of rhythm into my music. I am influenced by different genres as a result of my musical experiences."

According to Falana, she spent some times in Cuba studying music. She also performed at several shows in Cuba. But only last year, she made her debut in the nation's music scene, performing at the annual Felabration.

Falana is yet to release an album, but her debut EP, "Things Fall Together" which she released in 2014, is still making waves. She has opened the stage for both Yemi Alade and Asa at Afropolitan Vibes and Asa Live In Lagos respectively. "I'm trying to get people to know who I am and to popularize my own monthly live show," she echoed.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...