I will act NUDE if Nollywood was Hollywood - Ijeoma Imoh

I will act NUDE if Nollywood was Hollywood - Ijeoma Imoh

Fast rising actress, Ijeoma Imoh has done about 20 movies till date. She was at the birthday bash for fellow actress, Toyin Alausa at the HGO Surulere, Lagos. DUPE AYINLA-OLASUKANMI, who was there, had a chat with the beautiful actress. In this interview, the young actress talked about her love for showbiz and why she opted acting among other issue. Excerpts:

WHY did you choose acting as a career?

I don’t like office work. I have always loved entertainment. But unfortunately, I cannot sing. So, acting, show biz and all the paparazzi are the options. (Laughs)

Tell us, how do you combine your duties?

I am running a part-time course in History and International Relations. It is easy for me to combines because the acting does not come regularly, so I am not that busy. But I am busy with other things too. I am not science inclined for now, so I won’t say everything is jam-packed.

Are you not working hard enough to get roles on regular basis?

My dear, I am working so hard getting these jobs. But every day, people are born wanting to do this same job. So many competitions, and more, you still have the old people there, they are not shifting. And you also have people coming after you for this same job. So you need to work extra harder to see if it has to come your way.

You are Igbo, yet you speak Yoruba so well. Tell us about it?

I was born and bred in Lagos. I grew up in Ibadan and Abeokuta.

As one who speaks Yoruba well, don’t you think you can do well in the Yoruba sector?

Yes I can do it. I just need the platform and someone to put me through. But I have done a few Yoruba movies. I know that you are respected if you are introduced by someone, which ensures that you get jobs to do.

With your relationship with someone like Toyin Alausa, is that not enough platform for you?

You could even say Olasco himself. It is not that I would not be able to get jobs through her. But let the jobs come first. If she feels I am worth being part of their job, she will let them know.

You laugh a lot; don’t you think this is a disadvantage to you getting roles?

You don’t mean it. I really need to check myself. (Laughs) This is 2013, so I need to make a New Year resolution. But anyway, I don’t think so, I am just being me. And if you think being myself will not make me get jobs, then carry go, another person go come.

Have you ever thought of trying your hands on comedy?

Why? (Laughs) if I do comedy, you will not buy it. In fact I am sure it will not sell. The thing is that I am not stereotyped. If a comedy comes my way, and I fit in, I will do it.

How do you survive with these few roles?

I work now. I don go abroad? You see, people go to work and pay their bills. It is the same thing happening in Nigeria. I am doing part-time acting, schooling, and modelling, everything part-time just to eat.

But seriously, how do you do it?

I have got a time-table. So thank I God that my course is not related to calculation. And I chose to do part because it will enable me to go out there and do my thing. With this, I don’t need to attend lectures. I can go online to search for materials. I can also talk to people to enrich my understanding of the course.

As a model, one would expect you to be skinny….

To God be the glory. There are different types of models. The plus-size, the skinny, those on bill boards and many more, so which one would you say I don’t fit in into?

How long have you been in the industry?

Ha! I am old o. I have spent like eight years in the industry, and I am not yet a star, na wa o. Some people come and they just boom. Some have been there before me, but I thank God that my name rings a bell to an extent. Some have come in after me. But everybody has got his or her own luck and gift. So it might be that I am not walking harder. I am still praying to hit it soon.

How is the journey so far?

Sincerely, it’s been tough out there. It is always like a battlefield, trying to get roles and also balance your career. Auditions, to the best of my knowledge, have virtually disappeared in Nollywood. You get roles these days based on how connected you are. The trend is killing the acting spirit of most of us. If not for the encouragement and advice of some directors and producers, some of us would have left. Actually, my first acting role was in a soap opera directed by Kinsley OmoEfe, ‘Young, Single and Free’. It is still running on national TV stations, and my role is very challenging. My first movie in Nollywood was Bumper-to-Bumper, it was a party scene, though a minor role. But I really enjoyed myself. In fact, that really opened my eyes about how Nollywood really operates. After that, I have featured in several other Nollywood movies.

Asides all these, do you still find Nollywood interesting?

My answer will be yes and no. Yes in the sense that acting is what I ready liked to do, while no, in the sense that I’m yet to land my dream role. Sincerely, it does not really weigh me down, because I’m optimistic that I would soon become a household name in Nollywood. I know I will soon shine in the industry. Though, I’m not using that to judge, but some people have been in the industry before me and they are not yet known. The fact that my name rings a bell in Nollywood gives me joy. At least, I have featured in about 20 movies, and luckily, I have not been stereotyped to a particular character. I learn from each set that I visit and also interact with people as part of my learning processes. Acting is all about make-believe and you doing the extraordinary.

Which role would you rather turn down?

Like I said earlier, I am versatile. So if Nollywood were Hollywood, I bet you, I would accept nude role. But it is not Hollywood, and I need to marry, so that I no go nude finish, bad market go come come for me. Naija man no go wan see me marry. (Burst into Laughter)

Do you think acting nude is enough reason for a woman not to get a man?

In Nigeria, even if you are acting holy holy person, so long you are an actress, they just see you as plenty paparazzi and will see you as one that they cannot cope with. They are few men that are brave enough to want to go the extra mile to propose marriage. But they too have to consider their family background.

Do you have plans to settle down someday?

Why not? See, I am going to get married, and I am sure whoever I am getting married to will support my career. So there is nothing like getting to a particular stage before you get married. Please if it comes now, embrace it because it is your time. If you miss it, you miss out. You may never get another opportunity again.

But what happens if the man says you have to quit?

Is it the same man that came around after you have started acting? If it is a man you met before acting, you will know what to do. But if it is the one you met after you have started acting, I’ll tell him I cannot sit in an office. I am an Igbo girl, and I love money. The way I love working, I love money. And these days, most men, I am sure do not want liability. I love the fact that I am working, it does not stop the respect I have for my man. Which means if he is not around, I can take care of things.

Some actresses live by scandals, how have you avoided it?

Because I don’t look for trouble now (Laughs). The thing is, I don’t really go out like that. But the only outing I love doing is to go clubbing because I love dancing. But I don’t go looking for trouble. And if somehow I find out that I have issue with someone, I try to sort it out without making noise about it. So why would I want to create scandals? I want endorsements, good things. Why stretch yourself with things not worth the trouble when you can move forward with plenty things.

You are said to be a mullato. How true is this?

Don’t mind them o. I don’t why they call me that. I am a full-blooded Igbo girl. Half Anambra, half Abia. My granmama no be oyinbo, nobody resembls oyinbo for my family. So I don’t know where it came from, except I would have to go and ask my mummy. (Laughs)

As a celebrity, one expects you to always look gorgeous. Why are you always simply dressed?

Well, it depends on the mood. Sometimes you do not know where that person is coming from, or going to. But for me, I already knew where I would be going today. So I already knew what I was going to wear. And I love looking simple, and you won’t want to wear something that kids would stain and you start getting angry at innocent souls. It does not make sense. The most important thing is to be you. I just love being free.

Let’s talk about the ways you interacted with the HGO kids?

Ho! It is my first time there. I have always wanted to go there. I told my friend and colleague, Toyin, that i would love to go and see the kids. Being there was very touching for me. I almost wept seeing the kids.

What do you do when you are not busy?

Sometimes I could be boring, but I love life. It is not that hard. Just treat yourself nicely. You can only make yourself happy, nobody can. It is when you make yourself happy that people around you are happy too. If you start frowning, your face will start having marks all over. I go swimming, I dance, and I dance to any sound I hear. And my friends will always say Ijeoma wo fi se e ni? The thing that is usual for me is to just go to club and dance. I also go to the movies if I need to go. I could be boring, but extremely playful.

Do your parents reside in Lagos too?

My mum is around in Ikeja and my dad is in the UK. My siblings are all in Lagos, except for the one in Port-Harcourt.

Do you live alone?

I stay with my family. I stay alone fine, but I am still surrounded by families. If I move left, they are there, if I move right they are there. They are always there for me at all times.

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...