World's Best Teacher, Wins $1m (Photos)

Andria Zafirakou, who teaches at Alperton Community School, has won the prestigious Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize.

The award, which recognises a teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession, has a prize of $1 million . And the 39-year has guided youngsters from one of the poorest areas of the country and helped pupils from a variety of backgrounds.

Andria Zafirakou, who teaches at Alperton Community School, has won the prestigious Varkey Foundation Global Teacher Prize.

The award, which recognises a teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession, has a prize of $1 million . And the 39-year has guided youngsters from one of the poorest areas of the country and helped pupils from a variety of backgrounds.

This included learning basic greetings in many of the 35 languages spoken at the school, including Gujarati, Hindi, Tamil and Portuguese, to help parents feel welcome and included.

Ms Zafirakou, the first British teacher to be awarded the prize, paid tribute to the power of the arts after being named the winner.

She said: 'I was shocked. I was completely overwhelmed. I didn't realise it was me.' Asked what she will do with the prize money, she said:

'I'm going to be patient, I'm going to reflect, but as you know I think it would be really fantastic if I could think about how the arts could be celebrated even further within our school community.'

- AP

Comments

Keep up to date with our latest articles and uploads...